Friday, October 27, 2006

Safety Tip of the Day


My pretend intertube friend, Dave at Garfield Ridge, had a breakdown last night.

A washing machine breakdown.

Here is my advice to him:
Buy steel reinforced hoses.
You're going to have to buy hoses anyway, unless you're cheaper than I imagined.
Spend the extra $10 and get the steel braided ones.

Here's my experience with hose leaks:
I had the good fortune to be standing in the laundry room when one of the non-steel hoses decided to spring a leak. All of a sudden there was a loud hissing sound. At first I thought it was Richard Simmons or The Dog Whisperer. It was the washing machine hose. By the time I got it turned off, there was 3 inches of water on the floor.

Sure they're more expensive but consider how much the stuff in your basement is worth. It wouldn't take more than a few hours for your basement to fill up.

Mrs. Geezer always turns off the hoses when we go out of town. Another good idea.

Comments:
"Sure they're more expensive but consider how much the stuff in your basement is worth."

Dead hobos are worth more than just sentimental value? Huh.
 
I keep telling myself to buy those. Kind of like the CO alarm I need to get. I turn the taps off when we leave. I've heard horror stories about the ice-maker line breaking as well.
 
Holy moly. I'm 47 years old and Dave @GR is only the second person I've ever heard of this happening to.

My habit was to buy new ones every time we moved or every 5 years, whichever came first.

And to check my homeowners policy.

daveintexas
 
My laundry facilities are on my second floor. I don't have re-inforced hoses. I should probably think about getting some eh?

Skinbad is right about the ice-maker line. A friend of mine had hers fail while she was away for a week. She has a condo unit above someone else's and they both had extensive damage. It was months and many $$$$ later before it all got sorted out.

I unhooked my fridge's line. It's no big deal to fill ice trays.
 
I was just commenting at your blog the same time you left this comment.

Heh.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Full disclosure;
I've been offered a free firearms training course at Front Sight in exchange for posting these links.
Since I've already taken one of their excellent courses, I jumped at the chance to get a free one.